Wednesday 11 December 2013

BANGKOK: Day 3 Part 1 - Wat Arun - Temple of Dawn

Dec 2012


This was my first time visiting a Thai Temple and Wat Arun (aka Temple of Dawn) was chosen as to be our first and only temple to be visited in Bangkok. The reason to visit it was that it is very beautiful when you watch it during the night with the lights is switched on. We couldn't visit it at night for fear that the boat service ends before nightfall and we did not wish be stuck at there. 


We had our breakfast in the hotel and boarded BTS from Rachathewi station to Saphan Taksin station (37 baht) where we transferred to Phao Chraya Express Boat and alighted at N8 Tha Tien Pier.We had to transfer to another boat (3 baht) just to the opposite side of the river in order to reach Wat Arun. 

It was our first time using Thai Boat Service and it was very easy to navigate around. There is a booth which sells one day pass for the usage of the boat service and costs 150 baht. It is advisable to pay per boat ride as it only costs 15 baht. 





Wat Arun Temple



Our entrance ticket to Wat Arun of 50 baht for an adult




 The stairs to climb up the stairs are very steep and I was afraid I might missed my footing and fell.










Visitors to the temples are supposed to dress with modesty and I was wearing a short skirt so I had to rent a sarong (20 baht) which is a long cloth to wrap around my body in order to hide my legs.

This statue looks like a Chinese Warrior God.

I saw this pretty elephant ring at a shop outside Wat Arun. Thais treasure elephants alot and see them as sacred and symbolise royalty.










No comments:

Post a Comment