Monday 2 December 2013

BANGKOK: Day 1 - Pratunam Market + Platinum Fashion Mall + Fried Insects

Dec 2012

This is about my first trip to Bangkok. Many friends of mine are crazy over Bangkok as it is well known for its cheap shopping and good food....be it Pad Thai noodles, mango sticky rice or Tom Yum Soup, which are a few of my favourite Thai dishes. Thailand is the only Asian country which I had seen with so many transvestites!It is an interesting sight, I tend to linger my sight on those 'girls' but afraid at the same time that they might get offensive while I keep on looking. 


I was looking forward to this trip to try out their fried insects since I can't find it in Phuket and here I come, Bangkok. Exchanging currency to Thai Baht...I will be richer if 1000 Baht is USD 1000...Hahahah!!!



On our way to find our hotel, we saw some roadside stalls. Thais are real friendly as from airport to Pratunam, we encountered 5 Thais coming up to us to ask if we need any help with the directions. 



We stayed at Period Pratunam Hotel. It isn't that easy to find it since it was along a small alley. The hotel is very clean and tidy with simple decor. The only disappointment was the lack of English TV shows since most of the channels are in Thai language. 

We loved A&W for its root beer float and waffle with ice cream. We ordered the set meal which consisted of waffle sandwich with fried chicken + root bear float +curly fries. Yum Yum

Check out Pantip Plaza for its A&W outlet!




We headed over to Platinum Fashion Mall for shopping. For the entire trip, we visited Platinum Fashion Mall every single day. It was so big and I got lost in trying to find the exact shop I wanna revisit. Lesson learnt - if you like something, buy it or else you will end up like me, trying to find back the same shop after considering whether to buy the dress or not. 


As we walked around Pratunam market, Ta Da...my fried insects. I saw some bugs which kinda look like maggots and asked the stall owner what it was. She doesn't entertain me and I wonder does she really don't understand English. Most Thais are able to speak English so I kinda take it for granted that every Thai can do so too. 

One packet cost 20 baht.





I posted this photo in Facebook and a friend said I looked evil in this shot. What say you?


I bought fried grasshoppers to try. It was deeply fried and the feel / taste of it is kinda similar to chewing on prawns' shells. The thorns of the grasshoppers' legs are prickish so not a comfortable feeling while it was inside the mouth. The overall experience is something different and not scary at all. I don't understand why others freak out when it comes to eating fried insects. It ain't as scary as eating live maggots straight from a corpse right? Haha



Sinfully sweet soya milk with sago seeds. It is from a roadside stall inside Pratunam Market. Do walk around and try to find it to try.




Finishing up my fried insects all b y myself while waiting for dinner to be served.

This salt grilled fish is awesome. Even though it was grilled with lotsa salt on its skin, the flesh is tender, smooth and not salty at all. Very fresh as well. 



Add in the chili sauce provided to give you some sour spicy taste to it. I am so in love in it that I ate it almost everyday in Bangkok. All stalls' version of the salt grilled fish and tastes are similar. Just a matter of the size of the fish and price. D look so much like a foreigner (we both are not Thais), and the stall owner actually overcharged us at 80plus baht twice the rate of other stalls. I found out only when I was roaming around alone and other stall only sold at 35 baht.

I guess maybe because I look like Thai Chinese that's why stall owners tend to speak Thai to me? 
Pad Thai Noodles. This isn't one of the best Pad Thai I had tried.

We had mango sticky rice as dessert in the same shop. Mango is my favourite food so mango sticky rice comes naturally to be one of my favourite desserts as well. With fresh mango together with sweet coconut syrup and white glutinous rice, it is a sticky sweet sensation.


One of the many typical mango sticky rice. The best I eaten is mango sticky rice in green color. Special huh? Check it out in my next post!




No comments:

Post a Comment