Tuesday 14 July 2015

Tokyo III + Osaka: Tokyo Day 1 + Tokyo to Osaka Day 2 Part 1

July 2015

Here's my third post of my trip to Tokyo and I will be taking the JR Tokai Tour Shinkansen bullet train to Osaka. It will be my first time visiting Osaka and here it goes....

Day 1: Tokyo

I chose to land in Tokyo as the arrival timing in Osaka is considered too late for me at 9pm. Yummy flight meals - breakfast + snack 

Japanese breakfast - Japanese rice + teriyaki fish + Japanese veggies + bread + orange juice + tea and fruits

Shitake mushroom wrap + green tea

 From Haneda airport to Shin Okubo station - 690 yen & Shin Okubo Station to Yoyogi station - 140 yen

 Cute Japanese mug inside hotel's fridge 


 Beautiful sunset in Tokyo on my way from Yoyogi to Shinjuku

 Takashimaya Departmental store in Shinjuku

 I went to check out the merchandises for My Melody at Sanrio Gift Gate in Shinjuku


 Back to Mouko Tanmen store to challenge their ultimate spicy noodles. Spicy Level: 9 chili out of the maximum 10 chilis

Please view previous post for 2014 visit where I try their signature Mouko Tanmen noodles. 




From the photo, you can see the tiny bits of chili and the soup is full of chili oil. I thought that Japanese could not eat spicy food. I was wrong. This bowl of noodles was so spicy that I took one hour to finish it with continuous sips of cold water before every bite. There was a Japanese lady who sat beside me and she ordered the same bowl of noodles. She has no difficulties in finishing the noodles. 

With each bite, tears start to gather in my eyes and I felt that my lips are trying to inflate to resist the intake of the spiciness that come with the noodles. The slices of pork are very delicious and if it is not because of the spiciness, I would have enjoyed the noodles more. 

If you are a spicy food lover, please try it. 

Day 2: Tokyo > Osaka

I bought a package which is special for foreigners where you can travel from Tokyo to Osaka at just 22,000 yen and the package also includes a one day free pass travel in Osaka for all trains and buses. It is an open ticket which has a validity of 7 days from your date of departure to travel to and fro Osaka.

You have to buy the E-voucher online at www.japanican.com and print out the email confirmation. I exchange the E-voucher for the tickets at Shinagawa station. Exit from central gate and turn right, you will see JR Tokai office. It took around 20 minutes for the exchange and 2 tickets per entry at the automatic gates are to be inserted. 


A small booklet is given which has the timetable of the trains. I chose Nozomi train with is the fastest and it took around 2.5 hours to reach Osaka from Tokyo. Passengers will have to sit at car 1 - 3 as they are free seating since there is no reservation of seats in this package. Shinkansen will have to be board at platform 23 and 24. There are also power points located in the Shinakansen for charging electronic devices - computers, handphones etc. 

Upon arrival at JR Shin Osaka station, you will have to exit the Central Gate and take the escalators or stairs to 2nd floor to the Midosuji Line Central Gate to exchange the voucher given previously in Tokai office for the Osaka one day pass. 

Today's itinerary:  Kuromon Market > Ebisubashi-suji Street >Dotombori > Shinsaibashi Shopping Street 

 Most of the shops in Kuromon Market operates from 0900 - 1800. I reached the market in the late afternoon at around 5pm. By the time I finished my first meal of the day after a short walk at 5pm, it was already 530pm and some stalls are either closed or closing. 





 Free Kuromon Market guide map and booklet. They are easily available at free wifi resting place in the market and in front of certain market stalls.


 I stopped by Hana no Ki to try their okonomiya. Based on the guide book, Hana no Ki has been in business for over 30 years and they also sell Takoyaki (Octopus balls), Obanyaki (Japanese hot cakes), as well as Yakisoba (Japanese sitr fried noodles). 




 I ordered a mixed flavour of squid and octopus - 650 yen 


 The okonomiyaki would have been more fantastic if we can have a bottle of the sauce and mayonnaise available so that we can add them according to our preference. I personally felt that it would have taste better with more sauce. 

 Different sections of the market can be identified with the animals signs. Here's the crab figurine as well as the puffer fish also known as Fugu in Japan. 



Here's the octopus figurine and the market area map


I am considering to return to Kuromon Market for a second visit as there are so much food there yet to be tried. 






No comments:

Post a Comment